Saturday, February 27, 2010

Weekend Full of Culture

This weekend has been full of theatre and dance. We had a lovely time at Purdue both Friday and Saturday evening.



Friday my husband, daughter and I saw the theatre department's production of Hamlet. It was very enjoyable. The cast of graduate and undergraduate acting students was brilliant! I was pleasantly reminded of the all too familiar phrases like "Neither a borrower or lender be", "Frailty thy name is woman", "To thine own self be true" and of course, "There's something rotten in the state of Denmark."



Then Saturday evening my daughter and I saw the Martha Graham Dance Company. They did a show titled "Prelude and Revolt: Denishawn to Graham". It was a suite of dances that traced the emergence of Graham's unique theatre and distinctive movement vocabulary from her days at Denishawn School. It's was very interesting as it was narrated by Janet Eilber, artistic director of the Martha Graham Center. She told the story of Martha's journey through dance. I love to learn about the people behind the art.

Though, I admit, my normal speed is more like "Oklahoma" and "So You Think You Can Dance", both shows were very entertaining.

No comments:

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails