Sunday, November 8, 2009

Craft of the Week...Granny Square Ornaments



We have a holiday tradition in our family of giving Christmas ornaments at Thanksgiving. After turkey and pumpkin pie, we sit around the table and open packages. There are 19 in my family, which includes Mom and Dad, two brothers and one sister and their spouses, and 9 grandchildren. I prefer to make my ornaments because, as you can imagine, it gets costly to buy 19 ornaments. And, it's so much more personal to make them. I try to find something that isn't extremely time intensive...mostly because I usually procrastinate and have very little time to make anything. I also try to make an ornament that isn't too big because after years and years of exchanging ornaments, we either need 2 trees or very small ornaments.

This year I took my idea from a fellow Etsian, namolio, whose work I have lately admired. Her work is much more detailed and beautiful than mine, but I thought I'd give it a whirl. First, I went to YouTube to look for a tutorial for granny squares and was amazed at how many videos there are out there. This tutorial in particular was very easy to follow.

I used lace making cotton and a #4 crochet hook to make these 2" x 2" granny squares.


Than I made little 2" x 2" pillows using red and natural colored linen.


I attached the granny squares to the pillows with the red side up.


Now, all I have to do is attach a ribbon to hang them. Cute, huh?

No comments:

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails