Sunday, September 20, 2009

New Feature...Craft of the Week

I'm starting a new feature. Craft of the Week will be coming to you every Sunday. I will give you my source, the materials needed and pictures of my version. That's right, I'm committed to making one new craft a week. This should be lots of fun.

This week I've chosen to highlight a craft from the most awesome book by Mark Montano called "The Big Ass Book of Crafts". Mark is part of the design team for While You Were Out and host of TLC's 10 Years Younger, as well as cohost of the Style Network's My Celebrity Home and We's She's Moving In.


Today's craft is made from rolled magazine pages and can be found on page 281 of the book. The book gives several items you can make including a basket or bowl. I think you can use the technique to make much more. I chose to make wall art.

The materials you will need are: old magazines, hot glue gun and glue sticks, Elmer's glue, scissors, Krylon Color Creations Crystal Clear Top Coat and a pencil. You simply roll 3" wide strips of magazine pages into long tubes placing a dab of Elmer's glue to hold the shape. Flatten the tubes and wrap them around a pencil to create little discs. Put another dab of glue at the end to hold the shape. Then, using your glue gun, glue the discs together. Spray with a coat of Krylon and voila! They suggest using a bowl or trash can as a base to help you form your items. My project was flat, and much easier to deal with. It's a great use for old magazines and very green.




What do you think of the finished product? I'd love to see your attempts at this one.



No comments:

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails